Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Presidential Candidates: Hofstra University

Binders full of women, Swiss bank accounts full of cash: Douchebag Romney Meme
Douchebag Romney Meme
Talk about a slow turn around on my part, sorry for the inconvenience. A week passes and the last of the presidential debates just aired last night and I have yet to post about last week's.

As I watched last week's debate, mind you it was right smack dab in the middle of the whole political show, so I was a bit on the confused side. The question that I understood the best was raised by a young woman who asked the candidates what they will do to raise the glass ceiling for women during their terms when and if elected. Of course being a woman and donning my "Marxist feminist dialect brings all the boys to the yard" t-shirt, (Totally kidding, or am I?), my ears perk up to this question because a lady question was bound to happen..

President Obama said things like how he understands that women face unfair issues and he has seen the struggle himself because his mother was a single parent. He also brought the attention to the first bill he signed into law, the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

Governor Romney said he went through a binder full of women to select members of his cabinet. Unfortunately, that's all I can recall from his answer because the Internet is a hilarious place and they totally made fun of Romney. More on Internet reactions to come.

Other obvious touch topics...immigrant issues, oil, jobs, and China. Interesting cases for both, as I have to admit, I have not done my full research as to what these men's intentions entail, my worry is not that great considering that many people don't vote anyway, which to me is slightly ludicrous. I mean at least partake in some loop. The more you know right?

 Romney on immigration: Welcome legal immigrants in the country. Give green cards to people who have graduated with useful education like math science etc. Do not grant amnesty to people who come here illegally. Won't give driver's licenses to those who come here illegally. Children of illegally immigrated people should have some sort of pathway towards legal immigration. And self deportation, whatever that means, I'll get back to you on that.

Obama on immigration: Talent from all around the world come here, please.  We need to fix the broken immigration system by streamlining illegal immigration, making it easier for people who were obeying the law and waiting in line to become legal. We need to deal with the boarder: boarder patrol. Go after people who are ruining the community like "gang bangers."

Romney: Wants to help entrepreneurs, label China as cheats ("currency manipulators"), we're all the children of GOD and that he's a man of God (oh hey separation between church and state), says Obama just made the deficit worse.

Obama: Says Romney was a total pioneer for moving business to China, believes that empowerment belongs to the next generation, middle class needs a relief, 100% about the youth.

 Are we tired about hearing these..."Well what I did during my four years" or the "see what this guy did wrong and what I'll do right..."? Possibly. But the internet is a sensational place to make fun of everybody and have all these unbacked opinions, it's beautiful. Social media networks were just buzzing with great back and forth content.

Yahoo! Political reporter Chris Moody
                                      

Various Twitter reactions
                                          



I'm glad that this is my first voting year and I'm coming from the generation of the "meme." For those of you not into my hip snazzy lingo; a meme is most simply, that funny shit you see all up on the Internet. For example:
                                          Douchebag Romney Meme



                                          Menacing Josh Romney Meme


Things I hope will help and things that are just funny:
 http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/
http://www.romneytaxplan.com/
http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/the-internet-responds-to-the-final-presidential-de

For those of you who missed last night's debate like me:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/nowthisnews/watch-the-entire-debate-in-172-seconds-749g

6 comments:

  1. Really great observations, Elle. I'm happy to see another political wonk (like me!) writing, especially, from an age-range that is renowned for their lack of interest in politics. Good work.

    You might consider a.) more posts that are b.) shorter - not a criticism of this one, but just a thought for the future.

    Also, don't forget to add captions to your pix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally dug your commentary. peep this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d_FvgQ1csE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. The second debate was much better than the first and third debate due to the fact that the audience were able to ask the questions and force the candidates to talk about what the public would like to know about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if everything that we see on television is show or really. Let see what is gonna happen in a few days from now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha binders full of women... I got bedrooms full of women

    ReplyDelete